Saturday, March 1, 2008

Sue Townsend lecture

Again I apologize for my late entry on this lecture. Blame my laziness and forgetfulness as usual.

The lecture started quite earlier than expected at least 10 minutes or so after entering the room. And I didn't expect so many adults to participate, I thought that it would mainly consist of students. It was a good thing that I had arrived around 15 minutes early to avoid the crowd outside and get a quick seat. I thought that I should've taken one nearer to the front so that I could see Sue above the tall heads but I could hear her clearly enough from around the top area anyway so it wasn't at all a disappointment.
When the lecture had begun the room was packed, full of murmurs and streams of conversation; I could see from my high view point that there were lots more people waiting outside to get a seat, peering inside expectantly, but I suspected that they were turned down because of lack of space as they weren't allowed in. Again I had thanked myself for turning up appropriately early to gain entry for this unmissable event.

It was a pleasant atmosphere throughout the lecture, and Sue was very entertaining; the audience was good to respond with a round of laughter. She was very interesting to listen to as well, talking about what happened in her life that had inspired her to become a writer and replying to a few questions from the audience. She is a very funny woman, has a good sense of humour and was very informative. I got to learn a few things about her, like she was secretly practising her writing for 20 years and that her first favourite author was William Brown.
She talked more about her life than about writing really but I liked listening to her nonetheless. It was a good experience and I wouldn't mind attending a lecture by her again in the next Cultural Exchange.

Po

No comments: